Thursday, June 28, 2007

I always love the conveniences of this modern life. Everything is made so easy for you and me. One of those invention to me is the Microwave Oven. I could just pop my food in there with the plastic container marked “for use in microwave oven” and I’m all set. No mess no fuss….

This is where that habit STOPS!!

Recently, Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He stressed that we should not be heating our food in the microwave oven using plastic containers and this eespecially applies to foods that contains fat. He explained that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.

Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So things such as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn’t bad but you don’t know what is in the paper. It’s just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.

He also reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem was one of the reasons. He pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. His suggestion was instead to cover food with a paper towel.
No More For Me!!! How about You??

Posted by LadyJava On Thursday, June 28, 2007 No comments

0 comments:

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Youtube

Labels

Blog Archive

Translate

    Contact LadyJava

    Name

    Email *

    Message *